What is better than turning waste into something pretty and meaningful? Well, I suppose it is not having waste at all. But I digress…here is a cute Hanukkah crafts project that turns old toilet paper rolls into pillow boxes that can hold a treat inside. Here is what you will need:
- 8 toilet paper rolls (+ a few more for mistakes)
- Washi tape or ribbon
- Glue stick
- Numbers printable (download the PDF here)
- Treats (either small toys, gelt or other candy)
The hardest part of this project is folding the toilet paper roll into a pillow box. Save a few extra toilet paper rolls so you can practice a few times. And don’t forget to put the treat in BEFORE you enclose the box!
Here are the steps:
- Print out the downloadable and cut out the numbers
- Fold the ends of one side of the toilet paper roll
- Place the treat inside
- Fold the other ends. You now have a pillow box.
- Place a band of Washi tape or ribbon around the pillow box to keep it closed (and to keep little eyes from prying)
- Glue a number on the side of the pillow box (choose the one where the ends of the tape or ribbon meet)
Now, you can get all fancy and make this out of a prettier paper or even paint the toilet paper roll, but I love brown bag (as you know) so I kept mine plain.
The pillow boxes can be placed in a bowl or other pretty tray or even scattered around your menorah. On each night of the chag, you can witness the little one destroy your handiwork to get to the treat inside. Don’t worry, these are so quick to make you won’t feel resentful!