Here is a quickie dickie idea that will inject a little Hanukkah in your life, no matter how austere your observance or minor a part Hanukkah plays in your home. Whether you don’t believe Hanukkah is a decorating sort of holiday or perhaps Hanukkah is a second holiday in December for your family, you can wedge a little Hanukkah in by sprucing up a serving tray with dreidels and Hanukkah gelt. It’s like a mini Hanukkah celebration…coming right up!
- Serve drinks appropriate for your audience: tea, coffee, hot chocolate, or hot toddies.
- Use your favorite tray (or even just a board as I did here.)
- Crinkle up paper by wadding it up and smoothing it out for added texture.
- Add a little sparkle with a mirrored garland or battery-powered mini twinkle lights.
- Add gelt and a decorative dreidel if your tray is eating focussed. Make sure that dreidel can spin if it’s a tray for play.
- Make the tray self-sufficient with cups, spoons, and all ingredients your audience needs.
- And don’t forget: be careful with little ones around hot beverages.